Astronomical Institute of the Academy of Sciences
of the Czech Republic, Ondrejov
Last updated: October 2002
E-mail: spurny [at] asu.cas.cz
Brief Biographical Information:
Scientist at the Astronomical Institute of
the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic in Ondrejov (Department of Interplanetary Matter). Main coordinator of the European Fireball Network (EN) and head of the Czech part of the EN since 1993. 1982 graduated from Charles University, Prague. Since 1982 at the Astronomical Institute. 1992 PhD in Astronomy, 2000-2004 Head of the Group of Meteor Physics, 1993-2000 and since 2004 Head of the Interplanetary Matter Department. 2003 Scientist Award of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic. Chair of IAU Commission 22 (2006-2009).
Research on Leonid MAC:
- Physics of meteor flight in the atmosphere
- computations of meteor orbits and trajectories
- radiation of meteors at very high altitudes
- reduction methods for determining meteor trajectories
- precise and detailed light curves of fireballs from radiometers
- double station television observations of meteors
Multistation photography during the 1998 and 2002 Leonid MAC missions from locations in China and Spain. Discovered V-shaped high altitude radiation in video imaging, in a collaboration with members of the Dutch Meteor Society. Also calculated the trajectories of some of the brightest Leonid fireballs observed in the 1998 Leonid MAC campaign.